How to Get Advice on Damp and Mould Repairs

Damp and mould can be very damaging to health, especially for children, older people and those with asthma. The first step is to find out what’s causing it. Damp is usually caused by excess moisture – this can be due to leaky pipes, rising damp in basements or ground floors or rain seeping in because of damage to roofs or windows. It can also be caused by a new build house being built before the ground water has had chance to dry out or it may be caused by a problem with heating and hot water.learn more

What is the spray for damp and mould?

Mould is often caused by condensation, which happens when the air is too cold and comes into contact with a cool surface, for example walls and furniture. The best way to prevent this is to keep the property well heated and ventilated, particularly when cooking and showering. It’s important to wipe up any minor mould growth straight away, as it can spread quickly.

If the damp or mould is causing a nuisance, then your landlord is responsible for fixing it under section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act. This covers landlords’ responsibilities to keep the structure and exterior of properties in good repair. For example, penetrating damp is often caused by roof leaks and this is something your landlord is responsible for fixing.

It’s worth getting a qualified surveyor to check out the issue. You can ask a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Residential Property Surveyors Association (RPSA) to carry out an assessment of the problem and give you a report. You can ask for the report in writing, which will help to keep a record of when you complained.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *